Discussion Forums

Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] What are your criteria ?

atomicmak
Admin
Topic starter
(@atomicmak)

Currently considering all social media platform taking over its place of general users mindset to post closeups be it wildlife or portrait or many other genere except some landscape and architecture ...

Here I question to all of us that what are our criteria over selecting a file to even process and post online?

1. Do we check quality or its more important to post without it ?
  2. Do we consider crop too much for online posting but have we ever thaught that selection if practically a failed capture or waste if we really want to print ? or if someone from online one day ask for paid print ?
  3. How do we select our files to process ?
  4. What are our general criteria of editing limits  as in how far we go so as it looks real consider online visual impact plus printability ?

In a matter of fact I was really keen to know the users of mft going out and capture many beautiful pictures in field and eventually faild to retain the descent quality aspects to challenge the other medium of camera quality.

So the overall Point is 

Are we really became so ignorant about quality of an image that we ant to look for in when we really spend good amount of our earned money towards camera and lenses  while we really capture good or post process bad OR just for sake of online psycology we choose some not so good images and post even to keep tab of our daily posting routine ?

Please Vote and express your thoughts freely.

Kindly refrain from the personal debates of clashing thoughts and ideas as this is common phenomena and we all wants our individual choices to be intact.

Idea Is to increase the value of our photos we capture to take it to the next level of process.

Regards

4 Replies
olywise
Admin
(@olywise)

My primary goal to participate in the "Showcase" forums is to promote MFT gear. If someone visits the forum I want them to see the best of my MFT work on display. 

To that end, I would only post images that I feel represent the best of my capability into the "Showcase" forum. That means, I self inspect and self critique my posts on the Showcase forum. Unintentionally misfocused images would be a no-no for me if posting to say wildlife.

When posting to the Critique / Request Improvement suggestions forum, I would be posting work that I consider sub-par, to ask for feedback.  

Girish Vaze
(@girishsvaze)

my goal is not to promote MFT gear. that's not my job. I would like to showcase, what I think are good images, either aesthetically good, or technically challenging, and get feedback on those. The other factor is I would like to learn new techniques or new ideas. Ultimately I have invested in this system, so I need to learn it and improve my photography with it.

1 Reply
atomicmak
Admin
(@atomicmak)

Posted by: @girishsvaze

my goal is not to promote MFT gear. that's not my job. I would like to showcase, what I think are good images, either aesthetically good, or technically challenging, and get feedback on those. The other factor is I would like to learn new techniques or new ideas. Ultimately I have invested in this system, so I need to learn it and improve my photography with it.

Precisely the reason why I bring this up. Its not about mft, apsc or full frame competition. We have invested in a system and we should look forward to get best out of it. 

Point is are we satisfied with the basic captures which any point and shoot also can do or move ahead and create that eye and learn the system.

Very well said friend..

Bhushan Barve
(@bbarve)

My aim is to learn from fellow members and share my work too to get constructive feedback. In that flow of sharing, MFT would get some promotion by itself which is not a bad thing. If one is using this system, then definitely there is some reason behind it. And when you share your work, you automatically promote those reasons (features, traits etc). For e.g. while sharing my macro shots using focus-stacking on em1 ii, I'm automatically doing some promotion for it, that's what I feel 🙂

I chose em10 mk i as my first mirror-less camera few years back because of the features like excellent image stabilization, size & weight factor and some nice features like in-build time-lapse mode, live-composite, focus peaking etc which were not available in other entry level cameras back then. And today also, I'm happy to have upgraded to em1 ii which has improved auto-focus, supports in-camera stacking and many other features.

I'll try to answer some of the above questions here -

Do we check quality or its more important to post without it ?

>> Yes, quality is important while posting but at the same time one can post images for which he/she needs suggestions or constructive criticisms for personal improvement.

Do we consider crop too much for online posting but have we ever thaught that selection if practically a failed capture or waste if we really want to print ? or if someone from online one day ask for paid print ?

>> I crop up to certain limit only. When I feel cropping is deteriorating the image quality, I stop there. No point in going too close digitally, losing out on details.

How do we select our files to process ?

>> I usually select files which I feel are good to process. For other files, I give a quick try in Faststone viewer with basic processing to see how it fares. If I feel good, I go ahead with processing them in Affinity photo. If not, I keep them as it is and check them after some days to see if I get any other ideas for processing like vertical/horizontal rotation, b/w conversion, addition of any filter like vintage, soft focus, HDR etc.

What are our general criteria of editing limits  as in how far we go so as it looks real consider online visual impact plus printability ?

>> I make sure I don't over-process my images. I like to keep my images as naturally looking as possible. I've seen some of the photos shared on our Olympus groups as overdone in terms of saturation, contrast and sharpening. I tend to avoid that. For printability also, I feel it is not good to crop it too much which would hamper the details. As I said, I do basic post-processing only like exposure, shadow/highlights, contrast, sharpening, white balance, brightness, saturation, levels etc. Some times I use filters, vgnetting, HDR for further processing. I feel there is no point in processing your images in such a way that it changes drastically compared to what you captured at first hand.

Regards,

Bhushan

Share: